..

Friends FOREVER
Image by Cool Text: Logo and Button Generator - Create Your Own

Sunday, August 22, 2010

carrie preston

Bookmark and Share

Carrie Preston: Arlene isn't comfortable being pregnant with an evil baby

 


This season of "True Blood" has featured some of the sexiest, bloodiest and most shocking moments we've seen in ages -- and yet, the extremely realistic dilemma facing one of Bon Temps' power-free citizens has eclipsed many of the show's showier storylines.
Arlene's surprise pregnancy grabbed my attention from the outset. Not only was I captivated by the baby daddy debacle -- and anticipating the inevitable fallout once Terry learned she was actually carrying dead serial killer Rene's potentially evil spawn -- but by the way actress Carrie Preston ever so subtly let on that behind Arlene's happy exterior lied a woman whose morality was in constant conflict with a desire to unburden herself.
Those two warring sides came to a head last week as Arlene finally admitted her true wishes to Holly, whose sudden presence at Merlotte's can not be a coincidence. This week Arlene takes the next step, revealing the truth to Terry, which brings about some very shocking revelations according to Carrie. The actress also addressed rumors that Arlene's time on "True Blood" is coming to an end and how fan outcry could alter her fate.
PopWrap: I think most fans would agree with me in saying that season three has been the show's best yet -- what are your feelings on it?
Carrie Preston: I agree, I think this is the best season so far. I feel like I was the comic relief the first two seasons and this year I’m getting some real pathos.

PW: What was your reaction when Alan Ball told you the plan for your character this year?
Carrie: I got really excited about it because when they give you a storyline -- some kind of conflict or obstacle -- you know the writers have something to work with. I also was looking forward to seeing how her relationship with Terry is going to progress.
PW: Yes, but I'm nervous because this Sunday she tells Terry that he's not the father of her baby.
Carrie: I know! I know! The good news is that Terry is such a sweet character, I hope the audience is pleased with what happens. But it does go to a surprising place – very unexpected. Arlene starts walking down an avenue that I don’t think the audience would expect her to.

PW: Is it safe to say last week's admission that she wouldn't have wanted this baby hints at possibly what you're talking about?
Carrie: Arlene is kind of superstitious person. She’s someone who takes things at face value and to be pregnant with an evil person’s baby is not something she’s comfortable with [laughs]. You've now seen the dilemma she’s been presented with and that carries us though these last three episodes – she has some solutions presented to her and big choices to make.
PW: Arlene has always been someone who is very steadfast in her conviction -- do you enjoy playing someone so self-assured in that way?
Carrie: It’s always nice to play someone who knows what they want, why they want it and what their attitudes are towards life. It just makes your job, as an actor, clearer. I also feel responsible, as a Southern woman, for giving her depth that might not be on the page. As written, she could be set up as someone to be ridiculed -- it’s easy to stereotype her. I try to play against that. To have her come from a place of reality instead of being some fictitious stereotype of the average southern racist. We’ve seen that a million times.
PW: Not to do diminish the writers, but you do seem to make a lot out of a little.
Carrie: That is the challenge of playing the role, but it’s also what makes me excited. I’ll be given very little text and I’ll have to make a whole life out of it. Arlene never gets a lot of scenes, so I have to make it seem like there’s more. It’s funny, I’ll do an episode and think, “ok, I only worked one day on it.” Then it’ll air and people will say, “wow, you had a lot to do this week!” I take that as a compliment because I think Arlene definitely makes an impression.
PW: And this whole relationship evolution with Terry has been great to watch.
Carrie: I love working with Todd Lowe, who plays Terry. We have the same work style. We approach things similarly, there’s an ease there, a trust there – it’s just nice to work with an actor who is operating at the same frequency. We don’t even need to do a lot of talking at this point, we just show up and being in the same room together is almost enough.
PW: I'd also imagine what was asked of you two last season helped solidify that.
Carrie: Obviously we got to know each other very well last season because we were, in some cases, out in the 38 degree darkness with black contact lenses, scantily clad on top of each other. That will bond you really quickly [laughs].
PW: In the last few weeks Arlene has become close with the new Merlotte's waitress, Holly, which is surprising because she doesn't typically like her co-workers.
Carrie: I know. She's even strictly maternal towards Sookie. But there is definitely a friendship forming with Holly. In many ways, she's found a kindred spirit in Holly and it couldn't have happened at a better time because she really needs her council.
PW: Obviously there's something else going on with Holly -- and, I don't know if you're aware of this, but a lot of fans are worried for Arlene's mortality.
Carrie: I am aware of that. I think part of the concern came when I took a role on “The Good Wife” role. I did a couple of those, and I’ll be back for another one. It’s been fun to step aside and work on an another show. Obviously I can’t say anything, but I am pleased to see that fans are concerned, which means they like my character. That’s always flattering and not a bad thing for your boss to hear.
PW: Plus, if there's one show you want to die on it's "True Blood" because there's a million ways you could come back.
Carrie: Absolutely! I might get killed and turned into a vampire.
"True Blood" airs Sundays at 9pm on HBO

No comments:

Post a Comment