..

Friends FOREVER
Image by Cool Text: Logo and Button Generator - Create Your Own

Thursday, July 8, 2010

sandra dee

Bookmark and Share

Why Twitter And Your Blog Go Together Like Rama Lama Lama Ka Dinga Da Dinga Dong

sandra dee

You know that part at the end of the classic movie musical Grease, where Sandy and Danny finally realize they are really made for each other?  And then Sandy really goes for it and sheds her “Sandra Dee” image once and for all?
I’ve been thinking about that movie a lot lately (probably because of the upcoming re-release of the movie today  in a very cool  “sing-a-long” format), and how Sandy and Danny are like Twitter and my blog.
Like Sandy & Danny, Twitter “met” my blog two years ago – there was certainly an attraction, but it was a brief one.  And they went their separate ways.
But wouldn’t you know it, just as  Sandy re-entered Danny’s life at Rydell High, Twitter came back again, and similar to  Danny, my blog found Twitter very hard to understand.  “How can you possibly communicate in 140 characters?  Heck, my posts are usually 500 words!”
And yet, there was still clearly an attraction.  But it was tinged with jealousy, and confusion.  So once again tracing the story of Sandy & Danny, Twitter and my blog tried to flirt with other platforms, like Facebook and LinkedIn, and even (gasp!) Plurk.
The connection could not be made – what was going to turn the tide?  Or were these star-crossed platforms destined to live forever apart?
Finally, Twitter saw the light – and at just the right time.   “I shouldn’t be meekly competing against the blog – I should be complementing it.  Supporting it.  Screaming on the rooftops for it!”
No more Sandra Dee for Twitter.   So it put on a new, sassy set of clothes, and like Sandy went to Danny lookin’ a whole lot different.
And boy, did the blog like that!  Twitter was aggressively promoting the blog’s posts,  and the blog started to get more traffic.  Lots more.  And Danny, I mean the blog, finally boldly exclaimed  “You’re the one that I want (ooh, ooh, ooh)!
All was well with the world – Twitter and my blog were now joined forever.   In fact, the blog even allowed Twitter to put its stream on its page, right next to the posts!  (If that’s not togetherness, I don’t know what is).
It was clear that the blog couldn’t possibly thrive without Twitter putting on Sandy’s leather pants and singing its praises.  Fearlessly, and repeatedly.   In today’s social media world, one could not exist without the other.
And so, like Grease, there’s a very happy ending here, with throngs of extras parading around the carnival grounds, exclaiming that Twitter and my blog go together “like rama lama lama ka dinga da dinga dong
I have no idea what that means, but it sure sounds right.
As Sandy & Danny’s car drifts up into the sky and the credits roll,  I think of Twitter and my blog on a similar trajectory, flying blissfully as the Blog turns to Twitter and says,
“You complete me!”
Wait a minute, that’s a different movie….. aw, heck, let’s go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment